Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday

I haven't been updating this blog nearly as often as I'd like, but like I said, counter is pretty uneventful and so there's not much to write about. This morning, Henry, who suggested I start this blog, asked how it was going and of course he speaks so loudly that Nate and Justin heard him and so now they know I have a blog, about work, and I definitely don't want anyone from work reading this blog or even knowing about it. Henry doesn't count because it was his idea. So anyway, now I'm worried that someone will find it and read it and I didn't change any of the names on here and so I'm hoping this just stays a secret from all Marathon employees. Maybe I should have changed the names...
The restaurant closed early today because the floors are being redone and so it wasn't a normal day. But no day is ever really normal in that building. Today, a woman ordered a salad from me and she is the reason we have control freak salads. When you order a caesar salad, but change the dressing from caesar to balsamic vinaigrette, change the lettuce from romaine to iceberg lettuce, and add tomatoes and tuna, the only thing that's the same is the parmesan cheese. That in no way is a caesar salad! Nothing is the same! Only one thing is the same. And it isn't enough to keep calling it a caesar salad. But it's my theory that people do that (ALL the time) because by saying, "I'd like to order a control freak salad," they feel they're admitting "I'm a control freak." People would rather just steer clear of that term and call it another salad but change it so much that it's an entirely different thing. It's one of the most annoying things, but there is nothing I can do about it. I am entitled to kindly say that we do offer a control freak salad, but I feel like if I say that then they'll think I'm insulting them. So that's what I steer clear of.
In terms of Matt, aka van driver delivery guy, I told Laura (one of the bartenders) I liked him. And by 'like' I mean that I know nothing about him but still have some sort of weird fascination with him. I really had no choice. If you knew Laura, you would understand. First of all, she is, in my opinion, one of the coolest people I have ever met. She is the most honest and the most real person. And she asked who I liked at Marathon and I told her. I couldn't lie. And Laura is like a vault; she has so many secrets from so many people over the years at that restaurant that the news of my stupid little crush is like nothing to her. But now it's out there. One more person knows, besides the few people that read this blog, so I think that now is the point in time where this little fascination will either diminish to nothing at all or it will grow into something. Stay tuned:)

1 comment:

  1. laura is 'like a vault' ~ love that line. As for the blog getting in the hands of your co-workers... so what. sew what? just make it.

    ReplyDelete